From the moment people found out that my next travel destination was Switzerland, I have been hearing a mix of stereotypes. Some where the result of a conversation about the country, but most were a direct reaction to the mention of the country’s name.
I have never previously met any Swiss, so I couldn’t confirm or deny anything, but I would love to know what the locals think.
I expect to hear more than one perspective, as in every country no matter how much people look and act alike, they are never the same.
These are a mix of things I heard l, but also questions of my own:
- Swiss are punctual.
- Swiss are efficient.
- Swiss can ski.
- All Swiss can speak German.
- Swiss in French speaking cantons are french, in German speaking cantons are german etc
- Swiss are rich.
- Swiss love cleaning.
- Swiss eat a lot of chocolate.
- Swiss eat a lot of fondue.
- Swiss eat a lot of cheese.
- Swiss are slow.
- All Swiss are pacifists.
- Swiss are cold and serious.
- Swiss are tight on rules.
- Swiss are private and don’t invade other’s privacy.
- Swiss never argue.
These will be my guidelines. If anyone has anything to add, let me know.
Currently exploring Switzerland xx